Preparation Strategy and Tips for the SSC JHT exam
The SSC (Staff Selection Commission) conducts exams for the post of JHT (Junior Hindi Translator), Hindi Pradhyapak, Senior Hindi Translator, and Junior Translator every year. The first paper for this exam (Paper I) was conducted on 12th January 2019 and Paper II is scheduled to be conducted on 26th May 2019. For all women that have a bachelor’s or master’s degree in Hindi, this is a great opportunity for them to get a government job. However, the competition for this exam is quite high and hence, you need to practice a lot of SSC online mock tests for the JHT exam so that you ensure your success. You can also make use of the expert career guidance available on the Glow & Lovely Careers (formerly known as Fair & Lovely Career Foundation) in order to decide which particular profile to apply to.
The SSC JHT Exam consists of two papers.
1. Paper I is an online test with objective questions. It consists of general Hindi and general English questions and lasts for 2 hours. Each section consists of 100 questions and is of 100 marks each. Each correct answer carries 1 mark and each wrong answer carries a penalty of 0.25
2. Paper II is a computer-based, descriptive test consisting of ‘translation and essay’ sections. It lasts for 2 hours and is of 200 marks.
Before making a preparation strategy for this exam, it is extremely important that you understand the syllabus of the exam in detail.
SSC JHT Exam Syllabus
The following are the topics asked in the first exam (Paper I):
General English: Error Recognition, Articles, Verbs, Preposition, Spelling Test, Vocabulary, Grammar, Synonyms, Sentence Structure, Antonyms, Sentence Completion, Correct use of words, Phrases and Idioms, Reading Comprehension
General Hindi: Grammatical Topics i.e. Samas, Sandhi, Kriya, Visheshan, etc., Hindi Synonyms, Hindi Paragraphs, Hindi Proverbs, Hindi Antonyms, Hindi Spellings (vartani)
The questions are designed in a way to test the candidates’ knowledge of the languages, grammar with proper usage of words, phrases, and idioms.
Paper II Exam Pattern
There will be two passages for translation, the first one for translation from Hindi to English and the second passage for translation from English to Hindi. You will also have an essay to write in both English and Hindi and this is done in order to test the candidates’ translation skills and their ability to write as well as comprehend the two languages correctly, precisely and effectively.
You can take the free SSC online tests on the Glow & Lovely Careers website to gain enough practice so that the actual exam can be easily cracked by you.
Tips to ace the SSC JHT Exam
The JHT exam is very competitive. However, by practicing enough number of SSC mock tests on the JHT exam, you can assure success in the exam. The following points will help you in developing a good preparation strategy for this exam:
English Language: The only way to score well in this section is to read a lot of material in the English language and practice questions every day so that you gain speed. Do a lot of mock test papers on English as well. The most important topics under English are sentence completion, error recognition, antonyms & synonyms, idioms & phrases, reading comprehension. Regular practice is the only way to ace this section.
These are the areas that you must primarily focus on to clear the important SSC exams. Rigorous practice is required to clear this section. Keep answering the SSC mock online exams to build awareness of questions and speed.
Hindi Language: The most important topics in this area are grammatical topics, Hindi synonyms & antonyms, Hindi proverbs, Hindi spellings. Again, a lot of reading must be done of good quality Hindi books and rigorous practice must be done to ace this section.
This section does not come with a prescribed syllabus and hence, acing this section depends a lot on how good your knowledge in the languages may be. This is the section that can turn out to be the real challenge for the candidates. However, there are a few tips you can follow while writing the essay. They are:
1. Present the essay in the right format
Follow this essay format outline:
Background / History related
Main concept/theory/ what the subject is about
Current scenario related to it.
2. Do not write too much unnecessary content. Be very specific with respect to presenting your points.
3. Avoid being repetitive. Do not talk about the same point or concept more than once.
4. Don’t deviate too much away from the topic.
5. Maintain a neutral tone throughout your essay.
General tips to follow while preparing for the SSC JHT exam:
1. Understand the syllabus in and out. Do not skip any topic while preparing.
2. Focus on your weaker areas to make them stronger. However, do not make the mistake of leaving out any topic during preparation thinking that you are strong with it. This might cost you during the exam.
3. Make a time-table in detail about how you are going to prepare and stick to it.
4. Have a target to finish studying the entire syllabus at least 3-4 months before the exam.
5. Solve as many practice mock tests and online mock tests as possible during preparation.
6. Solve previous years’ question papers form at least 10 years
7. Since this is a language based test, extensive reading of books and newspapers in both Hindi and English is a must. Note down all portions that you find difficult to comprehend. Look for the meanings and read them again and again.
8. To crack the second paper, you have to practice writing essays regularly